2023 BNU INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ADMISSION BROCHURE
Beijing Normal University (BNU) is a comprehensive research university that is directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education of China, with a long history and profound cultural heritage. As a key university registered in China’s “Project 985” and “Project 211”, its comprehensive academic strength of academic disciplines ranks top among China’s universities. In 2017, BNU was listed in the “Double First-Class” Project, and in 2022, it was selected to participate in the second round of this initiative.
I. Majors and Programs
There are 39 majors available for international undergraduate students. For detailed information about the majors and programs, please refer to the Major Catalog for Undergraduate International Students.
II. Admission Eligibility and Qualifications
1. Applicants should observe the laws and decrees of China as well as the rules and regulations of the university, and respect the customs and habits of the Chinese people. In the meantime, they should be of good moral character, no criminal record and in good health.
2. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens with valid foreign passports, between the ages of 18 to 40 (Date of Birth is after August 31, 1983). Applicants under the age of 18 as of September 1, 2023, must have a guardian in Beijing.
3. With both or one of the parents is Chinese citizen and resides outside China, the applicant who acquired a foreign nationality at birth shall hold a valid foreign nationality certificate for at least 4 years before applying. In addition, the applicant’s record of at least 2 years of actual residence abroad during the last 4 years must be provided (from April 30, 2019 to April 30, 2023). The actual residence of more than 9 months in a year can be counted as one year subject to the date on the entry and exit stamp. For residences of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who immigrated to foreign countries and are applying as international students, please also follow the requirements above.
4. Applicants should have a certificate equivalent to Chinese high school graduation certificate or above.
5. Applicant’s Chinese proficiency must meet the requirements of the majors applied for. Applying for Chinese as a Second Language major and Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages major should provide certificates of HSK Level 4 with a score of no less than 180; applying for other majors should provide certificates of HSK Level 5 with a score of no less than 180.
6. Applicants who meet either of the following conditions can apply for exemption of written examination. The assessment criteria and the decision thereof will be made by the BNU.
Total score no less than 1300 points on the New SAT I;
At least three SAT II subjects with a score of 400 points or above.
IB certification obtained, with results of at least three HL subjects. Total score of 32 or above.
At least three A-Level subjects relevant to the major applied for, a minimum of one B and two Cs obtained.
A minimum total score of 25 or above.
The addition of the grades from 3 main subjects should be less or equal to 15.
Japanese Center Test
A minimum total score of 560 points or above (The full score of the test is 900 points);
A minimum total score of 185 points or more (The full score of the test is 300 points);
Other test methods shall be carried out according to the ratio of the total score/the full mark.
B4 grade or more in each subject, and an A1/A2 in at least one subject.
A minimum total score of 300 points or above in 5 subjects.
Excellent results from high school (high school diploma test scores, etc.)
Excellent results from national high school graduation examinations, or university entrance examinations.
NOTE: Students who are applying from universities with which BNU has signed cooperative agreement should follow the agreement’s requirements.
III. Application Time
1. Online Application: November 30, 2022 - March 15, 2023
Deadline for online application of exemption of written examination: March 1, 2023.
2. Paper Material Submission Period
Deadline for Paper Material Submission: March 31, 2023.
Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship and International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship must also mail the paper application materials within 10 weekdays after passing the preliminary review.
For deadline purpose, the date of posting will be considered as the date of submission. If the paper application materials are not sent within the time limit, the application will be deemed abandoned and the university will terminate the admission process.
IV. Application Procedure
1. Online Application
Register at Beijing Normal University Online Application System for International Students (https://international.bnu.edu.cn). After logging in, choose “Online Application” - “Undergraduate Student” option and fill in the form and upload all application materials according to the requirements of Part V.
Applicants can choose two different majors, which should be in the same discipline category. Applicants of Chinese as a Second Language major or Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages major can apply for another major belonging to a different catalogue, but must meet the requirements of that major, and take all the exams of both majors. Please refer to the Major Catalog for Undergraduate International Students for more information about the entrance exams for each major.
2. Paying the Application Fee
The application fee is 500 RMB, which should be paid online after submitting the application. Please note that applications without paying the application fee will not be processed. The application fee is not refundable.
3. Submission of Paper Application Materials
Having passed the preliminary review, applicants need to mail the paper application materials according to the instructions of Part V to the Admission Office (International Students), Beijing Normal University.
V. Application Materials
1. Beijing Normal University International Undergraduate Students Application Form. Having passed the preliminary review, you should download and print the application form from the BNU online application system.
2. The original document of notarized or authenticated high school graduation certificate. Graduated applicants should provide the original document of notarized or authenticated high school graduation certificate; applicants who apply before graduation should provide the original expected graduation certificate. In the latter case, please bring the original or the notarized high school graduation certificate at the registration. Applicants who fail to provide the materials mentioned above will have their admission revoked.
3. The original/notarial/ authenticated transcript of each year and all courses in high school.
4. Photocopies of HSK Certificate and transcript (exam date on the HSK certificate should be no earlier than November 1, 2020).
5. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, head teacher or school leader of the high school. Signature of referee is required.
6. Personal Statement. Please download, print and fill the form in Chinese. Personal statement should be handwritten; print version will not be accepted.
7. Photocopy of the Passport page of personal information (The passport should not expire before March 31, 2023.) If applicants have a visa to China, please provide a copy of the recent visa page. Applicants who are currently in China should provide a copy of the valid Foreigner's Residence Permit of the People's Republic of China.
8. Applicants who meet requirements in the article 3 (the instructions of Part II “Admission Eligibility and Qualifications”) should also provide the following materials:
(1) Copies of page with entry and exit stamp in the last 4 years (April 30, 2019 - April 30, 2023). Please sort by chronological order, scan and combine as a PDF or Word file to submit and prepare the original documents for future reference.
(2) Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and obtained foreign nationality after immigration, in addition to the materials mentioned above, should also provide foreign certificate of naturalization, proof of their renunciation of Chinese nationality and cancellation of original Chinese household registration certificate.
9. Original notarized certificate of guardian in Beijing. Applicants under the age of 18 by September 1, 2023 must submit the original notarial certificate of guardian in Beijing issued by the local notary office.
10. Applicants who apply for exemption of written examination should provide corresponding certificates, diploma, transcript, and etc.
11. The Certificate of Non-Criminal Record or Letter of Commitment.
12. (Optional) Photocopies of other supplementary materials and certificates (e.g. awards, examination certificates etc.).
13. Applicants who apply for Chinese Government Scholarship should also provide the following materials:
(1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship.
(2) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form which filled in English. The physical examinations must cover all of the items in the checklist of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
★All submitted documents should be in Chinese or English; Non-Chinese nor English materials must be provided with original notarized translated version.
★Additional materials may be requested from Beijing Normal University.
★The application will not be processed if the application fee is not paid, or the submission of online or paper materials are incomplete.
★Application fee and all submitted materials will not be returned.
★The applicant shall guarantee that the application information and materials provided are true and accurate. If Beijing Normal University discovers a violation, it reserves the right to revoke your admission. Those who have been enrolled will have their student status cancelled.
VI. Entrance Examination Arrangements
Time: April 8th - 9th, 2023.
The Entrance Examination includes two parts: written exams and interviews. Written exams include Test of General Ability (TOGA), Writing, Mathematics or English. Please refer to the Major Catalog for Undergraduate International Students for more information about the exams for each major. Applicants who have passed the application of written examination exemption do not need to attend written exams, still need to attend the interview. Applicants applying for two majors will have to take the interviews of both majors.
Notice for the examination will be sent via the application system as well as by e-mail. Please pay attention to the notification about examination arrangements.
VII. Rules of Admission
Applicants who meet the application eligibility of the major applied for will be selected by the school based on the total ranking of the written examinations and interview results. Starting from June 2023, admission office will notify applicants of the admission result through the application system and e-mail.
For enrollment, applicants must register on time bringing the “Admission Letter” as well as other required materials. BNU prohibits admitted students be enrolled in two or more schools simultaneously.
VIII. Duration and Tuition Fee
The duration of Bachelor’s degree program is 4 years (full-time), and the language of instruction is Chinese.
Tuition Fee for Humanities and Social Sciences majors: 12,400 RMB per semester, 24,000 RMB per school year.
Tuition Fee for Science, Engineering and Art majors: 14,250 RMB per semester, 27,700 RMB per school year.
Please refer to the Major Catalog for Undergraduate International Students for full details.
In order to encourage and support excellent applicants to study at BNU, the University offers the following scholarships. (For details, please refer to: “SCHOLARSHIP” at http://admission-is.bnu.edu.cn.)
1. BNU New International Student Scholarship
2. BNU “Silk Road Muduo” Scholarship
3. Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students
4. Chinese Government Scholarship
5. International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship
For applications of Chinese Government Scholarships, please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (https://www.campuschina.org) or contact the cultural and educational departments of the local Chinese embassy.
For applications of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship, please refer to the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website (https://cis.chinese.cn) or contact the local Confucius Institute, Confucius Classroom or other recommended institutions.
Applicants shall pay attention to the application system and email for the results relating to scholarship.
X. Accommodations and Visa Application
1. On-Campus Accommodation: Beijing Normal University international student dormitories provides single rooms, double rooms and other room types. The price ranges from 55-140 RMB per day. Please refer to the website of the International Students Office of Beijing Normal University (http://iso.bnu.edu.cn/ “Study & Life” column - dormitory introduction). After receiving the electronic Admission Letter, please log-in to the http://apply.bnu.edu.cn and book the international student dormitory online from 9:00 a.m. on July 1, 2023 to 12:00 p.m. on August 1, 2023.
Students who have been granted the Chinese Government Full Scholarship and the International Chinese Teacher Scholarship do not need to book the dormitory. It will be arranged by the university.
2. Off-Campus Accommodation: In accordance with Chinese relevant laws and regulations, new students living off-campus must go through the accommodation registration procedures at the local police station within 24 hours of moving-in. New students living off-campus should sign the Off-Campus Residence Commitment Form and submit the Off-Campus Residence Application and to International Student Office.
3. Admitted applicants should apply for an X1 visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate at their home country with the “Admission Letter” and “Foreign Student Visa Application Form” (JW201/202). For more information, please visit the International Student Office website (http://iso.bnu.edu.cn) “Study & Life”- Visa, or send an email to the International Student Office (email@example.com).
XI. Contact Information
Admission Office (International Students), Beijing Normal University
A103, Main Building, No. 19 Xinjiekouwai Street, Haidian District
Beijing, China 100875
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. All the date and time listed above adhere to the China Standard Time (GMT+8).
2. Adjustments may be made according to the epidemic prevention and control policies, which will be informed to the applicants in time.
3. For information on undergraduate admission of international students, please refer to the latest notices on the official website of Admission of International Students of Beijing Normal University (https://admission-is.bnu.edu.cn).
4. The final interpretation of this brochure belongs to the Admission Office of Beijing Normal University.
(This Admission Brochure is available in Chinese and English. If there is a discrepancy between the two versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.)