2022 BNU INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ADMISSION BROCHURE
Beijing Normal University (BNU), with a long history and profound cultural heritage, is a comprehensive research university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China. Ranking among the top universities in China in terms of its comprehensive academic strength, it is a key university in the Chinese “Project 985” and "Project 211" and is one of the first "Double First-Class" A-class universities in China.
I. Majors and Programs
There are 35 majors in 7 fields available for international undergraduate students. For detailed information about the majors and programs, please check the Major catalogue.
The duration for Bachelor’s degree program is 4 years, and the language of instruction is Chinese. Students who meet the requirements for graduation of representative majors within prescribed time limit shall be issued the bachelor's degree certification of Beijing Normal University. Students who meet the requirements on degree awarding of Beijing Normal University shall be issued a bachelor's degree certificate for undergraduate students of ordinary higher education.
II. Admission Eligibility and Qualifications
1. Applicants must be willing to abide by the laws and regulations of China as well as the rules and regulations of the university, respect the customs and habits of the Chinese people. In the meantime, they should be of good moral character and in good health.
2. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens with valid foreign passports, between the ages of 18 to 40. Applicants under the age of 18 as of September 1, 2022, must have a guardian in China.
3. If both parents or one of the parents of the applicant are Chinese citizens and reside in a foreign country, the applicant shall have foreign nationality at birth and shall hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for at least 4 years. In addition, applicants must provide a record of at least 2 years of actual residence in a foreign country during the last 4 years (April 30, 2018 to April 30, 2022). The actual residence of more than 9 months in a year can be counted as one year, subject to the entry and exit signatures. For residences of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who immigrated to foreign countries and are applying as international students, please refer to the requirements above.
4. Applicant's language ability must meet the requirements of the majors applied for. Applicants for Chinese language major and International Chinese Language Education major should provide certificates of HSK Level 4 with a score of no less than 180; applicants for other should provide certificates of HSK Level 5 with a score of no less than 180.
5. Applicants who meet either of the following conditions can apply for exemption from written examination, the qualification of which is determined by BNU on the basis of merit:
Total score no less than 1300 points on the New SAT I;
At least 3 SAT II subjects, each with a score of 400 points or above.
IB certification obtained, with results of at least three HL subjects. Total score of 32 or above.
At least three A-Level subjects relevant to the major applied for, with at least one ranking B or above and two ranking C or above.
A minimum total score of 25 or above in ACT.
The addition of the grades from 3 main subjects should be less or equal to 15.
Japanese Center Test
A minimum total score of 560 points or above (The full score of the test is 900 points);
A minimum total score of 185 points or more (The full score of the test is 300 points);
Other test methods shall be carried out according to the ratio of the total score/the full mark.
B4 grade or more in each subject, and an A1/A2 in at least one subject.
A minimum total score of at least 300 points in 5 subjects.
An average of 6.0 points in each subject.
Excellent results from high school(high school diploma test scores, etc.)
Excellent results from national high school graduation examinations, or university entrance examinations.
NOTE: Students who are applying from universities with which BNU has signed cooperative agreement should follow the agreement’s requirements.
III. Application Time
1. Online Application:
November 30, 2021~March 15, 2022
Deadline for online application of exemption from written test: March 1, 2022.
2. Paper application materials:
Please mail the paper application materials and send the proof of mailing to the email (email@example.com) within 10 weekdays after passing the initial review. Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarships and International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institutes) Scholarships must also mail the paper applications materials in due time. If the paper application materials are not sent before the deadline, the application will be considered abandoned and BNU will terminate the review and admission process.
IV. Application Processes
1. Online Application:
Register at BNU Online Application for International Undergraduate Students System. After logging in, choose “Undergraduate Student” option or "Undergraduate Student Exempt from Written Test" in the column, fill in the form accordingly and upload all application materials according to the requirements of Part V.
2. Choosing Your Majors:
Applicants can choose two different majors, which should be of the same discipline category. Applicants of Chinese Language major or Chinese International Education major can apply for another major belonging to a different catalogue, but must meet the requirements of that major, and take all the exams of both majors. Please refer to the catalogue of enrollment for undergraduate international students for more information about the exams for each major.
3. Paying the Application Fee:
The application fee is 500 RMB, which should be paid online after submitting the registration information. The application fee is not refundable once paid; applications will not be accepted until they are paid.
4. Submission of Paper Application Documents:
Having passed the preliminary review, applicants may mail the paper application documents according to the instructions of Part V to the admission office of the Department of Education of Beijing Normal University.
V. Application Materials
1. Beijing Normal University International Undergraduate Students Application Form. Having passed the initial review, you should download and print the application form from the online system, and attach your recent 2-inch passport-style photo (bare-headed, and with a white background) which should be the same as the one uploaded to the registration system. After that, please sign the form with signatures of both yourself and your emergency contact; application forms without either signature is invalid.
2. The original or notarial certificate of high school graduation certificate. Graduated applicants should provide the initial copy of the high school graduation certificate or a notarial certificate; applicants who apply before graduation should provide the original copy of expected graduation certificate. In the latter case, please bring the original diploma or the notarial certificate to the campus at the registration. Applicants who fail to provide the materials mentioned above will have their admission to the university canceled.
3. The original transcript or the notarial certificate of all courses in high school.
4. Photocopies of HSK Certificate and transcript (exam date on the HSK certificate should be no earlier than November 1, 2019).
5. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, head teacher or school leader of the high school.
6. Personal Statement. Please download, print and fill the form. Personal statement should be handwritten; typed version will not be accepted.
7. Guarantee Letter. Please download, print and sign the form with signature from the guarantor.
8. Copy of the first page of passport. Applicants who have been to China must provide a recent copy of the visa or residence permit page in China.
9.Applicants who meet requirements in the article 3 (see “Admission Eligibility and Qualifications”) should also provide the following materials:
(1) Copies of page with stamp of entry in the last 4 years (April 30, 2018~April 30, 2022), and the original for future reference.
(2) Proof of study abroad in the last four years.
(3) Applicants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have obtained foreign nationality after immigration, in addition to the materials mentioned above, should also provide foreign certificate of naturalization, cancellation of original Chinese household registration certificate and withdrawal of Chinese nationality.
10. Applicants under the age of 18 are required to submit the original notarial certificate issued by the local notary office in China.
11. Candidates who apply for written examination exemption should provide corresponding certificates, diploma, transcript, and etc.
12. Photocopies of other supplementary materials and certificates. (e.g. awards, examination certificates etc.).
★All submitted documents should be in Chinese or English; Non-Chinese or English materials must be provided with original copies of the notarized translated version.
★The application is invalid if the application fee is not paid, or the submission of online application materials or paper materials are incomplete.
★All submitted materials will not be returned.
★The applicant shall guarantee that the application information and application materials provided are true and accurate. Once the admissions unit verifies that the information is not true, the applicant will be denied admission or the admission qualification will be cancelled. Those who have been enrolled will have their student status cancelled.
VI. Entrance Examination Arrangements
Time: April 9th- 10th, 2022.
The Entrance Examination includes two parts: written exams and interviews. Written exams include Test of General Ability (TOGA), Essay, Mathematics or English. For detailed information about the examination, please check the International Undergraduate Major Requirements.
Applicants who have passed the written examination exemption review do not need to attend written exams, but need to attend the interview. Students applying for two majors will have to take the interviews of both majors.
Notice for the examination will be sent then via the registration system as well as by e-mail. Please pay attention to both for specific examination arrangements and requirements.
VII. Rules of Acceptance
The school will choose the best candidates on the basis of the total score of the written examinations and interview. Results of admission will be informed through the enrollment system and email in May 2022.
1. Tuition for Literature and History major: 12,400 RMB per semester, 24,000 RMB per school year.
2. Tuition for Science, Engineering and Art major: 14,250 RMB per semester, 27,700 RMB per school year.
In order to encourage and sponsor outstanding international students to study for a degree in China, Beijing Normal University will provide the following scholarships (For details, please refer to http://iso.bnu.edu.cn for "Scholarship"):
1. BNU New International Student Scholarship
2. Beijing Normal University "Silk Road Muduo” Scholarship,
3. Beijing City International Student Scholarship
4. Chinese Government Scholarships
5. International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institutes) Scholarships
For scholarship applications of Beijing City International Student Scholarship, Beijing Normal University New International Student Scholarship and Beijing Normal University Silk Road Muduo Scholarship, please download "Beijing Normal University Scholarship Application Form" from the website for International Students admission (https://admission-is.bnu.edu.cn/english/index.html) and fill in; having finished, please upload the electronic version to the “Personal Statement” section in registration system. The hard copy of the form along with the other application materials should later be mailed by the deadline. Applicants may pay attention to the registration system and email notification for the scholarship evaluation results.
For applications of Chinese Government Scholarships, please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (CSC) or consult the cultural and educational departments of the local Chinese embassy or consulate at the CSC website: https://www.campuschina.org.
For applications of International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship, please refer to the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website at https://cis.chinese.cn or consult the local Confucius Institute, Confucius Classroom or other recommended institutions.
X. Accommodations and Visa Application
BNU has 5 international students’ dormitories, providing different types of rooms including single and double rooms. Fees for a room vary from 55-140 RMB a day. For more details on accommodation, please check the International Students Office website (http://iso.bnu.edu.cn) for "Study & Life" – Accommodations.
Accepted candidates should apply for an X1 visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate at their home country with the “Admission Notice” and “Foreign Student Visa Application Form” (JW201/202). For more information, please visit the International Student Office website (http://iso.bnu.edu.cn) "Study & Life"- Visa, or send an email to the International Student Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
XII. Contact Information
Admission Office(International Students), Academic Affairs Department, Beijing Normal University
A103, Main Building, No. 19 Xinjiekouwai Street, Haidian District
Beijing, China 100875
Undergraduate Admissions inquiries: 0086-10-5880-5563 Answer time: 8:00-11:30 & 14:00-17:30 from Monday to Friday
Email address: email@example.com
All the times listed above adhere to the China Standard Time (GMT+8).
Adjustments may be made according to the epidemic prevention and control policies, which will be informed to the applicants in time;
For information on undergraduate enrollment and admission of international students, please refer to the latest notices on the official website of Beijing Normal University.
The final interpretation of this brief belongs to the Admission Office of Beijing Normal University.