International Students of Beijing Normal University in 2022
Master/Ph.D. Admission Brochure
Beijing Normal University (BNU) is a comprehensive research university that is directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education of China, with a long history and profound cultural heritage. Beijing Normal University ranks among the top universities in China in terms of its comprehensive strength. It is a key university in the Chinese “Project 985” and “Project 211” and is one of the first “Double First-Class” A-class universities in China. With its rich educational resources, the university is an important base for the cultivation of high quality and innovative talents in China. In 2022, BNU continues its admission of international students to study in China for Master or Ph.D. degree.
I. Schools, Departments and Majors
BNU offers courses in a wide range of disciplines as well as numerous specialized academic Master and Ph.D. programs. The university also offers multiple English-taught master’s and doctorate programs. For more details, please refer to BNU Majors Catalog of Master’s Program for International Students and BNU Majors Catalog of Doctoral Program for International Students.
II. Application Requirements
1. Applicants should be in good health and of good character, respect Chinese habits and customs and be willing to abide by both Chinese Law & Regulations as well as the university's Rules & Regulations.
2. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens holding a foreign passport and under 50 years old (Date of Birth is after August 31, 1972). Note for Chinese Government Scholarships applicants: master's degree applicants should be under 35 years old; doctorate degree applicants should be under 40 years old.
3. Applicants for Master’s Degrees should have a degree equivalent (or above) to a Bachelor’s degree from a Chinese university;
Applicants for Doctoral Degrees should have a degree which is equivalent (or above) to a Master’s degree from a Chinese university.
4. Language proficiency requirements for Chinese-taught programs:
(1) Chinese-taught Master’s programs:
A. Chinese Language & Culture College: 220 points and above in HSK 6, 65 points and above in HSKK Advanced level;
B. School of Chinese Language and Literature: 210 points and above in HSK 5;
C. Other Departments: 195 points and above in HSK 5.
(2) Chinese-taught Ph.D. programs:
A. Chinese Language & Culture College: 240 points and above in HSK 6, 65 points and above in HSKK Advanced level;
B. School of Chinese Language and Literature: 210 points and above in HSK 5;
C. Other Departments: 195 points and above in HSK 5.
5. Language proficiency requirements for English-taught programs:
Applicants from non-English speaking countries should submit proof of English language proficiency. Please refer to the specific English proficiency requirements of each major taught in English：
There is no need to submit proof of English proficiency such as IELTS or TOEFL in the following two cases:
(1) Received their last degree from English-speaking countries, and the language of instruction and assessment was in English;
(2) The last degree program was fully taught in English, and a certificate of completion issued by the university needs to be submitted.
III. Application Period
The first period: from November 15th, 2021 to January 15th, 2022
The second period: from February 21st, 2022 to April 30th, 2022
Applicants may choose any one of the periods to register, it is recommended to complete application a week before the deadline.
Paper application documents:
After passing the initial review, applicants must mail or submit the paper application documents within 7 working days, subject to the postmark of the documents mailed or the date of mailing on the delivery note. If paper application documents are not sent by the deadline, the application will be considered as abandoned and BNU will terminate the review and admission process.
To ensure the materials are delivered on time, it is recommended to use EMS or SF express for mailing within China and to use EMS, DHL, FedEx or UPS for mailing outside China.
Notice: For scholarship applicants, the application deadline is subject to the application date of various scholarships. After passing the initial review, applicants must mail or submit the paper application documents within 7 working days.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants should log on to http://apply.bnu.edu.cn for online application and complete the payment of the application fee. After completing online application, please mail the following documents to the Admission Office of Beijing Normal University (International Students).
1. Application Form for International Students with a photograph. Please fill in the application form, submit online and print a hardcopy with an attached photo with white background (the photo should be the same as that of submitted in the application system). Please make sure that the application form is signed by the applicant and the guarantor of the applicant, the signature must be the same with that on the applicant’s passport. Application form without the applicant and the guarantor’s signatures will be invalid.
2. Two recommendation letters from two associate professors or scholars with higher academic titles, or a senior expert in a related field. (There is no specified format for the recommendation letters, please specify the name of the referee and contact information, all letters must be signed by the referee).
3. Personal Statement Form, please download and complete the form from the international student admission website of Beijing Normal University and sign your name in person. Your signature should be consistent with that of your passport.
4. Transcript and Certificate of highest academic certificate
Master’s degree applicants must provide: official transcripts, graduation certificate or degree diploma of your undergraduate program. The documents must be original or authenticated/notarized copies, either in Chinese or English (Chinese or English notarized translations are required for other languages).
Ph.D. degree applicants must provide: official transcripts, graduation certificate or degree diploma of your master’s program. The documents must be original or authenticated/notarized copies, either in Chinese or English. (Chinese or English notarized translations are required for other languages).
Applicants who will graduate in 2022 and is temporarily unable to submit graduation certificate and degree diploma must submit Certificate of Expected Graduation. After being admitted by the University, the original copy of the graduation certificate and degree diploma must be submitted during registration, otherwise the admission will be withdrawn. The documents must be original or authenticated/notarized copies, either in Chinese or English (Chinese or English notarized translations are required for other languages).
5. Language Test scores: For majors taught in Chinese, please provide the HSK certificate. The test time on the HSK certificate should be no earlier than November 1st, 2019. For majors taught in English, please provide English proficiency certificate required in the majors catalog.
6. Application fee of 600 RMB. It should be paid online; cash is not accepted. (Please note: Application fee is also required for scholarship application.)
7. The original Statement of Guarantee. Please download the form from the international student admission website of Beijing Normal University, complete it and have it signed by the guarantor. The signature should be consistent with the name of the passport.
8. A photocopy of the first page of the applicant’s passport. If you have a visa to China, please provide a copy of the recent visa page, passport valid date must be later than March 31st, 2022. Applicants who have naturalized as foreign nationality after being former Chinese citizens should provide the documents certifying the cancellation of their original Chinese household registration and renunciation of Chinese nationality. Applicants who acquired foreign nationality at birth, if both parents or one of them is a Chinese citizen, must submit the applicant's proof of cancellation of his/her Chinese household registration and renunciation of Chinese nationality.
9. (Optional) Academic papers, patents, or other academic achievements, CV/Resume (originals or photocopies).
10. CSC Scholarship applicants must submit the following additional materials:
(1) CSC Scholarship Application Form;
(2) One copy of “Foreigner Physical Examination Form” (the applicant may keep the original document).
The form is printed by Chinese quarantine authorities. Please download it from the CSC website (http://www.campuschina.org) and fill it in English. The medical examination must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please choose the appropriate time to take medical examination as it is valid for only 6 months.
11. Beijing Government Scholarship, BNU New International Students Scholarship and BNU “Silk Road Muduo” Scholarship applicants should submit the Beijing Normal University Scholarship Application Form for International Students, please download the form from the international student admission website of Beijing Normal University and complete it.
★ Incomplete and unpaid applications will not be processed.
★ The University keeps the right to require additional materials from the applicants.
★ Application materials and application fee are non-refundable and will not be returned, regardless of whether the applicant is admitted by the University.
★ The applicant shall guarantee that the application information and application materials provided are true and accurate. Once the admissions unit verifies that the information is not true, the applicant will be denied admission or the admission qualification will be cancelled. Those who have been enrolled will have their student status cancelled.
V. Entrance Examinations
Admission assessment method is the application review system.
The Admission Office will conduct an initial review of the applicant’s application materials according to the general rules of admission. After the applicant passes the initial review, the department will conduct an academic examination on the applicant and organize interview if necessary. The university will select the best candidates based on the initial review and academic examination results and determine the final candidates who are to be admitted.
Admission Office of Beijing Normal University will inform applicants of admission result though the application system and email, please pay close attention. Inquiry via telephone will not be accepted. Admission Office will send Admission Notice and admission materials to admitted students. Please specify the way to collect Admission Notice and contact information during online application.
Students who are admitted must register in accordance with the requirements of the Admission Notice and other admission documents on time. BNU prohibits admitted students to be enrolled in two or more schools simultaneously.
VII. Study Mode, Duration and Tuition
All students should be full-time during their study period. The study duration of Chinese-taught master’s and Ph.D. programs is three years. The study duration of Chinese-taught master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages is two years. The study duration of English-taught master’s degree programs is two years, while the study duration of English-taught Ph.D. programs is three years. For more details, please refer to BNU Majors Catalog of Master’s Program for International Students and BNU Majors Catalog of Doctoral Program for International Students.
Tuition Standard: (Currency: RMB)
Tuition for One Semester
Tuition for One Year
(Liberal Arts) 13050
(Liberal Arts) 25300
(Science, Medicine, Engineering, Arts): 16550
(Science, Medicine, Engineering, Arts): 32300
Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages 65000 for two years
60000 for two years
(Liberal Arts) 16550
(Liberal Arts) 32300
(Science, Medicine, Engineering, Arts): 21100
(Science, Medicine, Engineering, Arts): 41400
98000 for three years
In order to encourage and support excellent applicants to study at BNU, the University offers the following scholarships. (For details, please refer to: “SCHOLARSHIP” at http://iso.bnu.edu.cn/.)
1. Chinese Government Scholarship
2. International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship
3. Confucius China Studies Program
4. Beijing Government Scholarship
5. BNU New International Students Scholarship
6. BNU “Silk Road Muduo” Scholarship
1. On-campus accommodation: Beijing Normal University has 5 international student apartments, which provide single room, double room and other room types. The price ranges from 55 yuan to 140 yuan per day. Relevant information can be found on the website of the International Students Office (http://iso.bnu.edu.cn/). Applicants should log in to the online registration system to check the admission results. Admitted candidates should book the dormitory online through the personal information page of the online application system according to requirement of International Students Office. Scholarship students who have been admitted under the free accommodation policy do not need to book a dormitory, the school will arrange accommodation.
2. Off-campus accommodation: New students who do not book the dormitory online within the given period will be seen as giving up on-campus accommodation. Please arrange off-campus accommodation in advance and go to the local public security office to register for accommodation within 24 hours of your stay, in accordance with laws and regulations. New students who live off-campus should apply for off-campus accommodation when the school starts, and sign the Off-campus Accommodation Commitment Form.
X. Contact Information
Admission Office (International Students), Provost’s Office and Academic Affairs, Beijing Normal University
A103, Main Building, No. 19 Xinjiekouwai Street, Haidian District
Beijing, China 100875
Tel: 0086-10-5880-2944 Answer time: 8:00-11:30 & 14:00-17:30 from Monday to Friday
Please refer to the latest notice on the official website of Beijing Normal University for information on postgraduate enrollment and admission of international students. All the time related information adheres strictly to the Beijing Time.
This brief will be adjusted according to the local epidemic control situation, and will be notified in due course.
The final interpretation of this brief belongs to the Admission Office of Beijing Normal University.