Chinese University Program is a full scholarship for designated Chinese universities and certain provincial education offices in specific provinces or autonomous regions to recruit outstanding international students for graduate studies in China.
1. Supporting Categories, Duration and Instruction Language
(1) Supporting Category: This scholarship only supports graduate students.
(2) Duration: The scholarship covers both major study and Chinese language/preparatory study, as specified in the Admission Letter.
(3) Instruction Language: Chinese or English.
2. Scholarship Coverage and Standard
The Chinese University Program provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships. Please refer to Introduction to CGS—Coverage and Standard of CSC website for details of each item. http://www.campuschina.org/zh/content/details1003_122933.html
(1) Full scholarship covers
--Accommodation: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
--Comprehensive medical insurance
Please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org and refer to Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China for insurance policy.
(2) Partial Scholarship covers
One or some items of the full scholarship.
3. Where and When to Apply
(1) Agency Name: Beijing Normal University
(2) Agency Number: 10027
When to apply: Applicants need to apply between November and April.
4. Applicants Qualification
(1) The applicant should meet the requirements of BNU Admission Brochure for International Students.
(2) The University does not provide preparatory Chinese language courses to the applicants for Chinese-taught MA or PhD programs. Please submit HSK certificate according to the admission requirements of your program.
(3) Applicants should not be holding any other scholarships.
(4) The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that applicants must:
lBe a high school graduate and no more than 25when applying for the undergraduate programs;
lBe a bachelor’s degree holder and no more than 35 when applying for the master’s programs;
lBe a master’s degree holder and no more than 40 when applying for the doctoral programs.
5. Application Procedure
(1) Please follow the instruction of BNU admission information for international students and prepare the application documents. Please log on to the "BNU International Student Application System" to complete an online application for BNU program and pay the application fee.
(2)Read carefully the Instructions for Chinese Government Scholarship Information System; Register on the website of CSC; complete, print and sign the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship. To apply through the Chinese University Program as new student, please choose Type B; the Agency number for Beijing Normal University is 10027.
* Please note: re-submission of the form is required if you have made any modification.
(3) Submit all your application documents to BNU before the deadline.
6. Application Documents
(1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English);
(2) Copy of Passport Home Page. If the validity of the applicant’s current passport does not meet the requirement (meaning the passport expires before September 2023), please apply for a new passport before submitting the application;
(3) Notarized highest diploma. Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations;
(4) Academic transcripts (from the undergraduate program onwards). Copies of academic records from first to last semester during the undergraduate, graduate (if any), and doctoral programs (if any) shall be provided. These transcripts shall be issued and sealed by the attending university’s academic affairs office, graduate school, or student management department. They can be in Chinese or English, but must be attached with notarized English translations if they are in foreign languages other than English;
(5) Language qualification certificates. Applicants for Chinese-taught programs must submit valid HSK reports in accordance with the corresponding Chinese proficiency requirements. Applicants for other language-taught programs shall provide relevant language proficiency certificates according to the universities’ requirements, like IELTS or TOFEL report;
① Pre-admission documents issued by the Chinese university of preference, including an official admission letter, a pre-admission letter, or an invitation letter from a prospective supervisor recognized by the department of international students admission at Chinese universities. The pre-admission letter or official invitation letter shall be printed on the special-purpose letter of the desired Chinese university and issued and sealed by the university’s international students admission office;
②The enrollment letter or invitation letter shall contain the following information (in Chinese or English):
a. Applicant information: full name, nationality, date of birth, name of the
university last attended, and others;
b. Academic status in China: graduate student or doctoral student;
c. Projected time of staying in China. The study timeline shall be made clear, and
the time of enrollment shall be no earlier than September 2023;
d. Information of the applicant’s Chinese supervisor (if any);
e. Descriptions of the applicant’s studies or research in China;
f. Language taught in courses (Chinese or English);
g. The supervisor-issued invitation letter shall be sealed by the department of international students admission and accompanied by the signature and contact information of the head of the department.
(7) A study plan proposal. A study plan written in Chinese or English shall contain more than 1,000 characters or words; the proposal of a doctoral student shall be signed by the applicant’s Chinese supervisor;
(8) Recommendation letters. Two letters of recommendation (written only in Chinese or English) from professors or associate professors shall be submitted. These letters shall describe the applicant’s objectives of learning in China, comprehensive abilities, and evaluation of future growth, as well as the cooperation between the supervisors or the exchange between universities both in China and abroad;
(9) Example of art. To apply for majors related to art or design, applicants could submit their own works through “Example of Art/Other Supporting Documents” in the system. Applicants could also provide such materials to the applied universities directly in other ways;
(10) Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China;
(11) A photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (the original copy shall be kept by the applicant). The form is designed by the Chinese quarantine authority and can be obtained from the dispatching authority. The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take a physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
(12) Non-criminal record report. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
1. Applicants must submit application documents that meet the requirements of both the Beijing Normal University admissions brochure and the Chinese Government Scholarship Application Documents List .
2. If the applicant has not obtained the Pre-admission Letter issued by BNU when filling in the Chinese Government Scholarship Application System, he/she can temporarily complete the application without submitting this document. However, after the applicant has obtained the Pre-admission Letter issued by BNU, he/she must submit it to the Chinese Government Scholarship Application System as soon as possible.
7. Admission and Enrollment
(1) BNU will review the application documents and decide the nominated candidates. Nominated candidates will get Chinese Government Scholarships to study in China with approval of the CSC.
(2) CSC reserves the rights to decide the host university for scholarship recipients with multiple offers. Each scholarship recipient—even when admitted by multiple universities—will be granted no more than one scholarship.
(3) Scholarship recipients shall not be allowed to change their host university, field of study, or duration of study stipulated on the Admission Letter after their coming to China.
(4) Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
(5) If scholarship recipients fail to pass the Physical Examination after registration, the admission and scholarship qualification will be withdrawn.
(6) According to the regulations of CSC, annual evaluation will be required for all CSC scholarship recipients. Students who pass the evaluation will be qualified for scholarship next year.
8. Contact information of China Scholarship Council
America & Oceania
E-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Division of International Students Admission and Cooperation Programs, China Scholarship Council
Level 13, Building A3, No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Beijing, P.R China